We grow a variety of organic fruits and vegetables, mushrooms, hollies, and conifers.
Greenhouse Vegetables We’re known for having the first ripe tomatoes at market!
- We also grow cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, ginger and tumeric in our three heated greenhouses. Everything is grown in the soil, organically. Growing under cover of greenhouse plastic allows us to extend the lifespan of these warm season crops by up to six months.
- Our greenhouses are heated with wood pellets, a renewable energy source from Statesville, NC, and propane. We plan to phase out propane use with the installation of a second pellet boiler & hot water storage tank this season.
Field Vegetables Our crop mix changes every year but usually includes the following:
- lettuce mix, kale mix, Asian greens mix, spinach, arugula, dandelion, miner’s lettuce, sorrel, endive
- basil, papalo, parsley, oregano, mint
- sweet peppers, hot peppers
- summer squash, winter squash
- potatoes, sweet potatoes
- beans, peas
Fruit, Nut and Mushroom Two acres of the farm are devoted to fruit, nut and other woodland crops.
- Asian pears
- goumi berries
- shiitake mushrooms
Conifers & Hollies
- A close relative of herba mate, Yaupon holly is native to the coastal southeastern U.S. Its leaves were roasted by Native Americans and early American settlers as a caffeinated beverage. We grow a cultivar well suited for Zone 6 on our farm. We sell plants as well as the tea derived from the plants.
- We grow organic Christmas trees including Canaan fir, Turkish fir, Corkbark fir, and Serbian spruce, all of which are adapted to our elevation. We currently offer tabletop trees. In winter 2020 our choose-and-cut stand will be mature and ready for visitors!
- We also sell wreaths at the winter markets.